Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 20 April 2024, 05:52:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

The Latest Endian Firewall is now available for download HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Maximum Public IP addresses handled...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maximum Public IP addresses handled...  (Read 12364 times)
jameschaynes

« on: Wednesday 23 July 2014, 12:29:05 am »

i have set up an EFW box to test as a replacement to the mikrotik router (yuck!) we have in place. i really like EFW and i have used it successfully in the past, but never with this many publics.

everything is working, but i have not been able to find an answer to the maximum number of public IPs the EFW box will handle. i have 15 public IPs and want to make sure i can support them all...

im using version 3.0 devel edition right now.

thank you in advance!!

james Huh

jameschaynes

« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 2014, 11:38:14 pm »

seriously? its really a simple question that i was hoping someone could answer, but i guess questions on the limitations and features of this Community Edition OS exceed the scope and information contained in these forums and/or its member base...

ill figure it out i guess. ill keep adding IPs to the list until it cries uncle, then ill post back and answer my own question.

worthless... why would anyone even keep a forum  if nobody is involved? luckily i happen to have made my thru setting up a dozen or so of these EFW/Smoothwall/Untangle boxes with VPN and all the other stuff, so i dont need any help (do they offer help at these forums?) with the procedure, only the limits.

smh...
mmiat

« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 2014, 11:03:45 pm »

mmm.... anyone is here because he's payed to stay for. we are all here for free, for passion. so, maybe, you can start help and hope someone helps you, if you think to come here to pretend answer I think you are in wrong place.

---------------------
IT Consultant
www.fsw.it
Hardware & Software
jameschaynes

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 July 2014, 12:18:21 am »

im sorry man, i dont even know what your trying to say... i think your giving me some eastern european lip about me how i should answer some questions before you wanna help me or something like that... but your talking about passion? paid to be here? wtf?

i dont get what got your panties in a bunch, but if your broken english reply is my glimpse into the "passion" you have for network appliances, then you can count me out. i dont roll like that bro, and im not pretending about anything but liking you right this moment...

instead of all that gibberish you posted, just say "i dont know the answer to your question"... the only thing i care about is the maximum concurrent number of manageable public IP addresses an EFW Community server will handle.

anything else you post is troll-bait and im not biting.

how many public IPs can my EFW community server handle?
juddyjacob

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 2014, 03:52:39 pm »

I am not aware of any hard limit on the number of addresses that you can assign a single interface, to be frank, I don't think their is one. But to be forward and honest the most IP address I have ever assigned a single public interface was 5.  The only issue I ran into was that I had to literally assign them one address at a time, verify they were responding to ping, and add another. If you try to add a bunch of addresses all at once you will all most definitely fail. I don't believe it really has anything to do with the Endian box, but more or less a issue with the ISP equipment updating the mac addresses and arp cache. I did do a little research, but I could't find anything in regards to a maximum of assigned addresses. I don't believe there is one though.
juddyjacob

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 2014, 03:58:54 pm »

So Interestingly enough, I had to ask some of the oldest and smartest network administrators I know.  In principal, with "32 bit allocation" you could assign a single interface 2 to the 32nd power -1 or 4,294,967,296 addresses. This is the hard limit of the 32 bit allocation. It also happens to be the entire TCP/IPv4 subnet. Makes sense I guess.  Some have recalled having setup *nix type firewalls ranging as many as 40 addresses.

So I had to ask, What would happen if you assigned all those addresses to a single interface? His answer, you'll die long before you are even half way through assigning them, so why worry about it....LOL

But long and short, eventually you will hit a point where you simply just don't have enough resources to continue, and the machine will crash.

So it really all comes down to your hardware
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.