Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 11 May 2024, 08:38:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the official Endian Community Mailinglist  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6495 Members
Latest Member: mrwar70
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  No access to GUI after fresh install
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No access to GUI after fresh install  (Read 13671 times)
ericmet

« on: Saturday 16 June 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any support you can provide. I am a newb to Linux and Endian, so please forgive me in advance if I make a fool of myself. Embarrassed

I have installed Endian 2.5.1 tonight on an old Pentium 4 I had laying around, and everything seemed to go smoothly. But, after reboot, I can't seem to access the machine. I have an onboard NIC and a PCI NIC, and they're both active when I plug in a cable. I don't have a crossover cable, so what I did was connect a cable from my onboard NIC to the WAN port on my Gb switch, and a cable from my laptop to a LAN port on that switch. I have the laptop's NIC set to a static IP with the correct subnet mask and default gateway. When I try to ping the Endian machine's IP, it either times out or I get a "Destination host unreachable" message. I tried to access the GUI via a web browser, and it times out. I tried switching the cable on the Endian machine from the onboard NIC to the PCI NIC, and I get the same results. I tried connecting the laptop NIC to both NICs just to see if that worked, and it produced the same results. I checked the Endian machine's IP via ifconfig, and everything listed is correct, so I am at a loss as what to do next.

Please, if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I searched the forums (and google) and tried everything I read that I thought could help, and nothing worked. Any ideas?  Huh
kashifmax

« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 2012, 07:18:58 pm »

When you define IP for GREEN than it will going to allow that traffic within the GREEN network if you have defined it correctly. Secondly it may be possible that one of the NIC is doing problems for you, so try to configure with one NIC. Also try to plug the EFW's NIC to other switch port rather than WAN port...
ericmet

« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 02:08:03 am »

Ok, so in order to configure the EFW with one NIC, should I remove the PCI NIC and reinstall? Also, during the install, should I have had to enter an IP for each NIC, because it only asked for the IP for one of them, the Green NIC? In any case, I will also try your suggestion of plugging the NIC into a different port on the switch.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Daeroth

« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 05:43:33 pm »

Remove the second nic.  That's what was causing me problems

I was having the same problem as you.  I couldn't access the GUI no matter what I did, seemed to try everything =P

Never thought about removing my 2nd NIC until this post.

After removing the second nic and running dhclient (which obviously removed the static IP I set), I finally was able to access the GUI

I have cisco 2950 switch which a cable from router is going to, to obviously broadcast.  Then from the switch I have my main computer which I am configuring from and then of course dont forget my Endian box is also connected.

If you want technical details just in case you arent familiar with linux(I don't suggest using root on any serious linux box, just for playing around with stuff like this is fine to a degree)
After booting up your endian box after install and you are at the main prompt:

1. Hit 0 for shell
2. Type login
3. default pass is endian
4. dhclient
5. exit (your new ip will be displayed)

The IP that is going to be assigned is going to come from your dhcp server that is connected whether it be a router or a server etc.

Sorry not sure how experience you are... just tryin to help. =)
ericmet

« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 11:09:28 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try it later this evening after work.

But, I have a question. After removing the 2nd NIC, do I just install it after I can get into the GUI to configure the EFW?
ericmet

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 2012, 11:24:20 am »

Ok, oddly enough, it was a combination of the suggestions above. I was finally able to get into the GUI  Grin

But now, I was wondering what my best options would be. Should I set the zones to DHCP or should I use static IPs? Also, in my network I have a wireless N router with 4 Gb ports and a 5 port Gb switch. Where should I place my Endian box? I was reading that I should connect the Endian box directly to my cable modem with a crossover switch with the RED zone port, and then to my LAN with the GREEN zone port. Did I read that correctly, or did I misinterpret?

Thanks in advance!
kashifmax

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 05:43:19 pm »

But now, I was wondering what my best options would be.
It's totally depends on your environment.

Should I set the zones to DHCP or should I use static IPs?
Use static.

Also, in my network I have a wireless N router with 4 Gb ports and a 5 port Gb switch. Where should I place my Endian box?
There are some diagrams (EFW 2.5.1). Goto Firewall > Firewall Diagram.
Router
    | (RED)
  EFW
    | (GREEN)
Clients

I was reading that I should connect the Endian box directly to my cable modem with a crossover switch with the RED zone port, and then to my LAN with the GREEN zone port. Did I read that correctly, or did I misinterpret?
Yes it's 1 of the 7 modes available in network configuration. Please read the documentation for more clarification...

http://docs.endian.com/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.